.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Mutualist Blog: Free Market Anti-Capitalism

To dissolve, submerge, and cause to disappear the political or governmental system in the economic system by reducing, simplifying, decentralizing and suppressing, one after another, all the wheels of this great machine, which is called the Government or the State. --Proudhon, General Idea of the Revolution

My Photo
Name:
Location: Northwest Arkansas, United States

Monday, November 14, 2005

Arthur Silber's Back!

Well, I'll be dipped in shit! All of Arthur Silber's regular readers out there who were upset to see Light of Reason disappear should check out his new blog: Once Upon a Time.

I only just now stumbled across it thanks to Karmalized. Since his traffic meter's already up to about 3000 hits a day, I'm probably the last of his old readers to get in on the secret.

There's also a Paypal button, for those who can afford to express their appreciation for Arthur's writing in a more tangible way, and I imagine he'd be glad of the cash flow right now.

I was glad to hear, at least, that he had changed his mind and planned to keep his archives up--a real treasure. So it was really disappointing to hit that 404 page not long afterward when I clicked on the old link. If I'd known the archives were going down, I'd have worked faster to save as much as I could on my hard drive. Fortunately, though, I've got all of his major series (especially "I Accuse" and "The Roots of Horror") saved in a MS Works textfile (over 500 pages), along with a lot of other stuff through last spring. As soon as I can figure out a good document format that will leave the hyperlinks intact, I'll probably put everything online.

Nice to have some good news, for a change.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's good news for me, too. Definately one of my all time favorite blogs. The only thing I regret about reading his blog is that he actually convinced me to vote for Kerry.

How big is that word file with his archives? If you'd like it hosted I have some space for it.

November 14, 2005 11:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I'll be dipped in shit!

lol

- Josh

November 14, 2005 12:07 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

It's about 3.6 MB. The problem's not the size, though. It's that MS Works is such a volatile format, and it's different enough in every version of Windows that no particular version will open up in very many people's computers. If I thought most people could open it without a problem, I'd just host it on Mutualist.Org. Aside from compatibility problems, it's a great format--hyperlinks work, and everything. MS Wordpad open up with most versions of Windows, but it doesn't keep hyperlinks active. When I get time, I may try looking for pdf software that creates active hyperlinks.

November 14, 2005 12:13 PM  
Blogger Beowulf said...

Hey there Kevin, just a tip have you considered using Open Office 2.0, using it to convert the files into standard Word format..also it's open source 'free' as in speech software.Beowulf

November 14, 2005 2:07 PM  
Blogger Kevin Carson said...

I got an email from Joel Schlosberg on Open Office. Unfortunately, when I opened up the attached pdf the links in it weren't active. And I've got the pdf995 softward for converting textfiles to pdf, but it doesn't allow for clickable links. Does anyone know of a pdf conversion software that DOES embed clickable URLs in the text?

November 14, 2005 2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home